Thursday, June 26, 2008

Days and Days

Obvi I'm a total slacker when it comes to blogging. This has been mentioned before, I think. It's not that I don't think about blogging, it's just that I have been lacking some motivation lately. A lot has been going on, but I've been pretty bored none the less.

Travis and I graduated last month. It was a good finish. I was relieved to be done, but felt really lost not knowing what I would be doing for the next year. Med school didn't seem to be in the cards for me (not this year at least), I hadn't applied to any grad programs, and I was still waiting to hear about a possible research position at a big university. So it kind of felt like I was going on my summer vacation, but I knew in the back of my mind that I had to find something to do with myself for 12 months.


Not much has changed there, although I've made some big life decisions. For the past 3 years all I've been hearing from various friends/family members is that I am destined to be a doctor, that I would be so happy, and that I need to keep trying for Med school. But guess what... I honestly don't care about being a doctor. I love science. I'm awesome with health science, but that doesn't mean I should become a doctor. No one can even use the "awesome salary" excuse any more. The cost of medical school is astronomical and malpractice insurance is through the roof. I think I would make an amazing doctor, but I know that I would be just as happy, if not happier, in research. I've decided that I will be applying to Biochemistry and Molecular Biology programs this fall, and I don't care who I disappoint!

Travis and I moved into our new apartment. So far it's been amazing, with the exception of one neighbor. She's really not worth an explanation, and will be moving in July. Hopefully more courteous neighbors will move in. The loft itself is awesome. 1100 square feet of old factory space. It's completely open and full of light. It's perfect for us. The only things I don't like are the kind of cheap fixtures and the amount of noise that travels from one apartment to the other. But it's fine. The neighborhood is the best!!! It's full of families and we live just steps from the BEST Mexican restaurant I've ever been to. It's like if you were Mexican and your family cooked you a feast. It's guaranteed that if you visit us and like to eat Mexican food, we will go there for dinner. Plus it's BYOB. We went there on Tuesday night with Bert, and Bert decided to give the owner a beer. I have a feeling we will all be good friends...

Since we've lived closer to Center City, Travis and I have been out a lot more. The subway is just 4 blocks from our apartment. Last Thursday we hit up Bob and Barbara's for the Drag show, which was really fun. I'd never been to one before so it was a real treat. I pretty much love any kind of live performance, but watching this while getting progressively more drunk was the best way to spend a Thursday night.


I would love to post some pictures of the loft, but I don't feel like it's ready yet. We have quite a list of projects. Would you like to know about them? I bet you do!!!! Here we go...
  • build a wooden screen to separate the living area and the sleeping area
  • buy a crafting desk and set up my crafting space
  • put up shelves to divide the dining area and the workspace
  • paint accent walls (tomato soup red in the living room, vibrant olive in the kitchen)
  • buy bench seating for the dining room table
  • hang lamps in the living area
  • make storage boxes to go on the utility shelves
  • buy lovely decorations (my favorite part!)
We will see when all of this happens. I'm thinking everything will look amazing for our Christmas party, but I'd love it if we could have things done before then.

I think it's time for ice cream and some wish list making.

No comments: